Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Paint the Whole World with a Rainbow

I had a strange thought yesterday - "Maybe I should get a proper job.  One where I leave the house, see people and earn a decent amount of money."  I even looked at job vacancies in the area.  Then I looked at the fees for a local nursery (over £900 a month!) and gave up on the whole idea.  I'm having a hard time at the minute.   I do every time Little Boy's teething but I'm particuarly lonely and miserable this time.  My nearest friends and family live 3 hours drive away so there's no one I can phone and ask to come round if it all gets a bit much.  We moved here when Little Boy was 3 months old and I went to the local mum and baby group to meet people but they spent 2 hours discussing local gossip and I never went back, so I suppose it's my fault.  Getting a part time job seemed like a good solution - I could meet some people, have a bit of time away from Little Boy and earn some extra money (so I can finally replace my poor old laptop, bought in 2006 and struggling with the demands of modern 3D modeling software).  But it's not going to happen so I'll just have to hang in there and look forward to the days when Little Boy's done teething and he's a pleasure to be around once more.  Oh and work extra hard to sell enough clocks to buy a new laptop!

Sorry for that big moan, I try to keep the blog cheerful but every once in a while I need to vent.  To balance things out I'm going extra cheerful with today's item selections - lots of bright, colourful rainbows everywhere.  Enjoy!

Crocheted Rainbow Baby Receiving Blanket by CrochetCuddes
£40 (+ free delivery)
A gorgeous handmade crochet receiving blanket!  It is approx 75cm by 95xm and made from 100% cotton yarn and is lovely & soft and cuddley!

Rainbow Plate by AshleySymeou
£48 (+ free delivery)
This bright and colourful kite shaped concave ceramic plate is a fun addition to any table top. It is glazed using the Raku process and then decorated with gilding liquid and oils and sealed with a clear varnish.
Size: Approx. 26cm x 26cm
All artwork comes with a letter of authenticity and is signed and dated.

Crochet Rainbow Mouse Kit by PlanetPennyUK
£15.11 (+ £3.48 p&p)
This kit contains enough beautifully smooth mercerised cotton to make 14 adorable crochet mice, each in a different shade, plus the instructions and beads for eyes and noses. Their use can be as imaginative as you like!  To make them you will just need a 3mm crochet hook, yarn needle and some toy stuffing.

Rainbow Dorset Button Bracelet Kit by Beakerbutton
£10 (+ £3 p&p)
This kit contains everything you need to make the bracelet in the photo, including needle, rings, yarn and full written instructions with clear photos. It is an original design. The wool used in the kit is the delicious Krafty Koala mini skeins, and you should have enough left over to make something else fabulous, or to add to your stash.  It comes in a purple paper gift bag so you don't even have to find wrapping if it's a present. 

'Here Comes The Sun' Rainbow and Dove Necklace by MIXKO
£19.70 (+ £3.28 p&p)
Looking for a rainbow after a rain?
Rainbow and Dove in the front, the last drop of rain on your back.
Rainbow - Ribbons (polyester)
Dove - Light weight plastic
Rain drop - Czech crystal bead
Chain and findings - Silver Plated
Chain length: 18" / 45cm

Rainbow Planets Hand Painted Spectrum Bead Necklace by WallawsAndZammadons
£24.96 (+ £3.24 p&p)
Rainbow Planets hand painted Spectrum Bead necklace in radical rainbow with glass crystal beads, silver plate findings and lobster claw clasp. Be a rainbow for a day! Laura Tupker makes the spectrum beads with lightweight Styrofoam and paint with non-toxic waterproof paints to get a unique and lovely textured effect. 

Little Wooden Rainbow Village by LittleWoodlanders
£20 (+ £2.50 p&p)
This little wooden rainbow village is made of maple and beech. The littlest houses are 3/4" x 1" (2cm x 2.5cm). The people are 1" x 1/2" (2.5cm x 2cm). The grass is 2 1/2" x 1/4" (6cm x .5cm). Comes in a white, cotton drawstring bag. Painted with AP Certified non toxic watercolours.  The set comes with:
12 houses
2 people
4 lengths of grass
2 trees
1 bridge

'After The Rain' Noah's Ark Print by CarolineRoseArt
£25 (+ £2.70 p&p)
The rain has stopped, finally! The dove has arrived and all is well. This is a beautiful and whimsical art work of Noah's Ark.  This is a beautiful A3 (16.5 x 11.7 in, 42cm x 29.7 cm) print of an A3 collage using various cut papers on a paper background. It is printed on Ilford smooth pearl paper using archival inks so it will last a lifetime.  The colours are beautiful and bright and it will looks beautiful framed. 

Rainbow Elephant Limited Edition Screen Print by liwbanks
£55 (+ £4 p&p)
Rainbow Elephant hand pulled, six colour screen print.  Limited Edition of 40.  Print measures 42 x 47.5cm (16 1/2" x 18 3/4").  Paper size 61 x 54cm (24" x 21 1/4").  Prints are packaged in sturdy card tubes for posting.

Summer Brights Extra Long Bunting by Melsey
£42.66 (+ £2.82 p&p)
Great for indoors or out, garden party, street party, afternoon tea tree house, festival or wedding. This colour selection includes new, recycled and vintage cottons and new cottons with designs from the likes of Laura Ashley and Liberty's in London.  This set has 50 flags. Each flag is approx 7.5 - 8" (at longest point) 5" (at widest point). The total garland reaches 32ft long, this includes approx 18 inches of ribbon at each end for hanging. Each flag is double sided so can be hung anywhere.
People are having trouble commenting on the blog again, so if you'd like to say something and blogger won't let you, comments can be left on the Buy Handmade British facebook page.

4 comments:

  1. Fabulously colourful post! Thanks so much for including the Rainbow Mice Kit.

    Planet Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chuffed to bits that you have included my Rainbow Plate in your blog! Big thanks and hang in there through your little ones 'teething stage' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for including my Rainbow Village!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time at the moment Jenna. I was quite lonely when I was on maternity leave when my daughter was young, as I have few friends, they mostly live far away, and I didn't know anyone my age with babies or small children. I found the mum and toddler groups very alienating too.

    I do work part-time- and on the one hand it's good as it gets me out there which I shy away from if left to my own devices, but on the other hand I sometimes I feel like I'm split in so many directions being mother, wife, housewife, crafter and professional!

    Good luck with the teething! Hope it passes soon x

    ReplyDelete